1. Remove all the old Gland packing from stuffing box. Clean the shaft and stuffing box.
2. Check the clearance in Neck Bush and Gland follower.
3. Check the condition of sleeve and be assure that sleeve / shaft is not scored.
4. Check the correct Gland packing size.
(ID of Stuffing box OD of Shaft/Sleeve = Correct Gland Packing size.)
5. Cut the packing rings in 45° cut. The one cut end should be above the other cut end as show in fig 1
6. The joints of Gland packings should be as follows and repeat the same for more no. of rings.
7. Do not tighten the gland follower excessively.
8. Allow Gland packing to leak freely when starting up a newly packed pump.
9. Tighten the gland follower slowly at 10 minutes interval till leakage is reduced to a tolerable level.
10. Never try to stop leakage entirely.
11. If the Stuffing box has a lantern ring check it for clearance.
12. Replace Gland packing when leakage cannot be controlled by further tightening of the gland follower.